Finding out what type of hip replacement implant you were given is one of the most important things you can do to determine if your hip implant has been recalled. Getting the facts can help ease the anxiety and stress caused by this medical device recall and give you the peace of mind you seek.
By following these simple steps you can find out what type of hip implant you received and plan accordingly.
- The first step you should take is to call your orthopedic surgeon or the hospital where you received the hip replacement surgery.
- Ask your surgeon or the medical records department what type of hip implant you received.
- Request a copy of your medical records. Make sure to ask for what is called the “sticker page” that lists all the components used in the hip implant system.
- If you find out that you did receive the DePuy ASR Hip Implant System than call a qualified hip recall lawyer right away as you may be entitled to compensation through a hip recall lawsuit.
- If you find out that you do NOT have the DePuy ASR Hip Implant and are concerned that your hip replacement may be failing, make an appointment with your orthopedic surgeon to get the hip implant examined. Make sure to let your doctor of your concerns so you can plan a course of treatment together.
- If your doctor has determined that you hip replacement implant is indeed failing than be sure to report it to the FDA through the FDA MedWatch Program so a thorough investigation can be initiated.
Please be aware that many people that have a DePuy ASR hip replacement implant will be notified by their doctor or hospital via mail or a phone call that their hip implant has been recalled and will be instructed to set up a comprehensive diagnostic examination of the hip implant.